How We Talk About Judaism
Manhattan Congregational and Hebrew School Directors Jennifer Stern Granowitz and Erin Beser co-host this professional development podcast for educators who teach Jewish subjects in Jewish schools. Each episode will explore an educator's most powerful tool, the pedagogy of language, and how the words we use can create new worlds and open spaces in a classroom. Today's pilot episode will explore how we talk about Judaism, unpacking expressions such as "Judaism says that . . ." and "They're more religious" and discussing who's entitled to have a Christmas tree.
Discussion and Reflection Questions
- Did any of the statements we asked Rabbi Jason resonate with you?
- What is a student statement you responded to that you might go back and respond to differently if you could?
- How do you actively include people in the way you teach?
Area of Work
- EC - Early Childhood
- CL - Congregational Learning
- AS&B - After School and Beyond
- Innovation and Change
- Jewish Tradition