How We Talk About Children
In this episode, Jennifer and Erin speak to Pamela Schwartz, Penn Family Early Childhood Center Director, about using respectful language and empowering children to take leadership and responsibility in the classroom and at home. We asked Pamela why kids call out, opt out, or act out in school (particularly Hebrew school). If you're a parent or a teacher, tune in for specific language to help you stay mindful when kids are . . . well . . . being kids.
Discussion and Reflection Questions
- How do you establish norms in your classroom? How do you bring your students back to these norms?
- What do you think of the suggestion to “flip things on their head”?
- A question from Pamela Schwartz: In your own classroom, what would it look like for you to balance “holding the power” and “empowering your students”?
Area of Work
- EC - Early Childhood
- CL - Congregational Learning
- AS&B - After School and Beyond
- Innovation and Change
- Social Emotional Learning