Just Words Virtual Launch Workshop
Just Words® Virtual Launch Workshop (instructor-led) provide the practice and guidance needed to effectively begin teaching the Just Words curriculum. This highly interactive remote workshop was developed with extensive participant input during the spring/early summer of 2020. It was designed to maintain participation and motivation for optimal learning, with strategically placed breaks and an extended lunch. Additionally, the workshop design allows for teacher input and active engagement via activities and discussions throughout each session.
Upon the completion of the course, participants will be able to:
- Identify the skills taught in Just Words: phonics and word study (phonemic awareness, six basic syllable types in English, spelling rules, common Latin roots, prefixes, and suffixes), vocabulary study, and high-frequency words.
- Understand the principles of instruction: explicit, sequential, and cumulative instruction that engages multiple learning modalities with multisensory instruction, repetition, and immediate, specific feedback.
- Identify and understand the use for all materials in the Just Words Teacher’s Kit, and have a sense of how to find and use the many extended resources available on the Intervention Learning Community for Just Words (membership included with participation in this workshop).
- Use the Instructor Manual to prepare a daily learning plan and practice lesson activity procedures.
- Visualize the flow and pace of a full Just Words lesson completed with fidelity.
- Identify which students may be appropriate for a Just Words class, and understand how to assess students’ progress in the class by using Progress Checks at the beginning of each Unit and Unit Tests at the end.
Dates: Tuesday, August 3, 2021
Time: 9:00 AM - 2:30 PM ET
Who: This workshop is open to teachers in New York City only, as it is funded by Title IIA. Administrators, paraprofessionals, and P3 providers welcome.
- This workshop will grant CTLE credits. Please note that the credits must be requested in advance. In order to receive the credits, you must be logged in for the entire duration of the workshop, have your video camera on, and be in the frame.
- Please note, once you have registered, we cannot refund your order.
- All workshops have a cost unless otherwise indicated. No one will be turned down due to cost. If you have any issues making the full payment or have general questions, please email Amanda Srere.
Sharon Grunfeld | Sharon Grunfeld is a Wilson Language Literacy Specialist, who conducts professional learning workshops via site-based and online interactive meetings for teachers in diverse school communities. She provides coaching and program certifications for all Wilson Language® programs. Sharon has extensive experience supporting Tier 1, 2, and 3 classrooms in urban, ENL, and Title I settings. Prior to joining Wilson Language Training, she had a 31-year career at the NYC Department of Education as a teacher, Special Education Supervisor, Administrator, and Wilson In-District Trainer. Additionally, she has designed and presented professional development programs for teachers and administrators in the areas of Collaborative Team-Teaching, Vocabulary Development, Fluency, Comprehension Strategies, Informal Assessments, and Adapting Curriculum. Sharon is a graduate of the Ramaz School. She holds a Bachelor's Degree in Education and Master's Degrees in Special Education and School Administration. She is a Wilson® Certified Trainer (W.C.T.) and Wilson® Dyslexia Therapist (W.D.T.).