Adapting: Jewish Education and the Ballot Box
What role should Jewish education play in civic engagement today? Aaron Dorfman of Lippman Kanfer Foundation for Living Torah and Dr. Tamara Mann Tweel, Director of Civic Initiatives of The Teagle Foundation, discuss Jewish Education, Civic Education, and more on the eve of the 2020 presidential election.
Adapting - Episode 13 from jewishLIVE on Vimeo.
Mentioned During The Episode
- I teach civics. My job is to help students understand they belong here. | Article by Dr. Tamara Mann Tweel
- Free & Fair: Our Duty to Democracy | Campaign by Lippman Kanfer Foundation for Living Torah
- All education is political. Jewish education should be too. | Article by David Bryfman
- Why civic education needs to be an essential part of the early childhood years | Article by Sasha Kopp
- Civic Responsibility 2020 | Jewish Education Project Resource about Jewish Education and Civic Engagement
Meet The Guests
Aaron Dorfman is President of Lippman Kanfer Foundation for Living Torah, a family foundation focused on applying particular Jewish wisdom to universal human questions. Prior to his work with the Foundation, he spent 10 years as part of the leadership team at American Jewish World Service. Aaron serves on the Advisory Board of the Safety Respect Equity Network and lives in Brooklyn with his wife Talia Milgrom-Elcott and their daughters Oren, Sela, and Dami.
Dr. Tamara Mann Tweel is Director of Civic Initiatives at the Teagle Foundation. Previously, she served as the Director of Strategic Development for Hillel International’s Office of Innovation, where she founded and directed Civic Spirit, a multi-faith civic education initiative. She currently teaches in the American Studies Program at Columbia University and serves on the Advisory Council of The Princeton University Office of Religious Life. Tweel received a master’s degree in theological studies from the Harvard Divinity School and a doctorate in history from Columbia University.
This production is in partnership with jewishLIVE, a virtual festival for curated Jewish content and experiences.
Sign Up to receive a reminder about every Adapting LIVEcast.
- Early Childhood
- Family Engagement
- Day Schools and Yeshivas
- Congregational Learning
- After School and Beyond
- Teen Engagement